Tuesday, January 16, 2018

SHOP VISIT : HEIDE MAKERS MARKET / HEIDE GALLERY / NEW PURCHASES


You never hear about garage sales anymore. I think with the success of selling things online and via Facebook, people just don't' want to bother with having live sales in their home. But if you do, let me know and I'll definitely go 💁


There's nothing I love more than going to garage sales, antique markets and markets in general. The feeling of having that cup of coffee in your hand, the hours ahead to leisurely browse alongside the mounds, stacks and racks of gorgeous, colourful and interesting things to look at will always give me a thrill. Last Saturday was so hectic because I had a garage sale, a market and a gallery visit to do.  It turned out to be such a great day because I met this really lovely girl at the bus stop and we ended up hanging out for the whole day and exchanging contact details at the end! You really don't see what's coming in life and this was such a prime example of that. It all happened because there was a one hour wait at the stop and I was getting annoyed and slightly panicky about what to do. We ended up talking and found out we were both going to the Heide Market. Needless to say, the bus came a lot faster than if we both had to wait alone!


Before that, I headed to this garage sale which was held in Abbotsford. I haven't been to a garage sale in ages so I was excited to see what I would find. I did buy two items which I was really happy with ( scroll down a bit further to see what I got ) You can see the lovely selection of bowls, vases and ceramics at the garage sale here. I was contemplating getting the pink salt shakers just behind the green tea cup but the naggy voice arose again, when do I actually use salt or pepper? I loved the coke bottle-esque vase just behind and the candle stick holders were great. If only I had my own apartment though! This is the stuff I'd be getting for sure!


I loved these little bags that the owner had laid out. The colours and patterns are beautiful but unfortunately they didn't really suit my body shape ( yes, bags and clothes are similar in that way that they can work for or against your shape ) It's perfect when you go to a garage sale where your taste and the sellers taste align. That's when you know you're not going be leaving empty handed. 



So here's what I got at the garage sale. This warm coloured jumper and this Turkish cushion cover. I was very impressed with the jumper because it was so NEW. And I loved the cushion cover for the bold print and colours. The fact that it was made in Turkey also granted it bonus points. I spent $10 overall for both which was a bargain. I can't wait to wear this jumper when the weather gets more chilly. I'm really aching for winter to be honest. Summer and I just do not get along whatsoever. 


The front of Heide 


One reason why I love markets more than shopping in shopping centers is that it's more local and community based.  I love how the products are made directly by the owners of the stalls. There's something just way more intimate and genuine this way. It goes even further if it's a farmers market because I love that from the ground, washed and then straight to you delivery. I think both commercial brands as well as market goods have aspects which are great, but the sense of intimacy that you get when you go to a market and see the owners representing their own goods is really special.




Eye poppin' goodness HERE at Claire Ritchie's shop 



Of course I had to include cushions in this post! You know I'm a real cushions addict 



The market was small to medium sized I'd say and overall I was pretty into all the stalls. They had a lot of ceramics and jewellery and also baked goods too. I'm avoiding dairy, meat and flour products to help my skin stay clear so I didn't indulge in any of the beautiful baked goods that was on offer, but how I wish I could've!





I liked these simple, abstract paintings by Kara Mandell. You can visit her website here 

I really liked these bath robes, especially the one in the middle.  They are by Tassel and Twine here

Beautiful gemstone necklaces 



What kinds of things do you use these bowls and ceramics for? I feel like they're almost too good to use for food! 



How stunning are these soap balls? I love the colours so much. 





These bowls were my favourite items at the market. The gold rims are beautiful and they'd make a good place to put your jewellery.







These gardens which were next to the markets reminded me of the Jardin des Plantes in Paris. They had a similar set up exactly like this with a vegetable patch as well. The grounds in Heide didn't feel like they were in Australia. Some parts really looked European. I think it definitely has to do with the trees and the types of plants that they had. There weren't any gum trees or Eucalyptus trees to my memory. 



Jennie found some garlic that had been dug up in a veggie patch 




We headed over to the gallery to have a look. We contemplated not going because of the entry fee but then it began to rain so we decided to while our time here to wait out the rain. 






Love textured paintings! 



When I was younger, I used to hold this belief that art was only good if it looked 'real' or 'accomplished'. But I now know that that isn't the case and I'm glad that it isn't the case because then we'd be missing out on the complexities behind these so called 'simplistic' works. The artist exhibited here ( Jenny Watson, read more about her exhibition here ) shows us that the intent and the experiences which guide her work is what really matters. She also has a distinct style which helps her work remain memorable to some viewers. I just think that response " Yeah, But I could've done that " shows that the viewer kind of doesn't know what's going on, as arrogant as I may sound. You can't determine the depth of a work simply by looking at it. It's harder than that. 









I think the best part of Heide was the founders of Heides home ( John and Sunday Reed, read more about them here). There were two residential properties which were converted into gallery spaces. This was one of them. I'm not sure if they had two homes or what the story behind it is, if you know feel free to leave a comment about it. 

This particular building was really seventies. They even had a conversation pit which is such a staple of seventies interior style. The house wasn't too far from the main gallery. It was such a peaceful space, you couldn't hear anything from anywhere when you were inside. I had never been to Heide before so I had no idea that it was split into three separate sections. Now that I'm passionate about decorating and furniture, I like to visit properties so I can imagine what kinds of work I'd do and what potential decorative objects I'd use to help beautify the space. I of course, was imagining all sorts of things for this seventies home. 





The fireplace in the conversation pit 


I loved this space!




This was the second residential property. The thing that struck me most about this home was how European it felt ( Are we in Heide or are we in Europe here? ) The ceilings were so high, the detailing very ornate and grand. You didn't feel like you were in the middle of Bulleen / Heidelberg. There was a real feeling of sanctuary in this home. 

Again, my decorating mind sprang into action when I saw all the nice, old fashioned details and the higher than high ceilings. I thought of Persian rugs, silverware and framed abstract paintings. I also fancied big dining tables with table runners and lots of vases with flowers. I liked this property slightly more than the seventies looking one. It had a more warm, homey feel to it. I would've loved to have called this place home, it was really quite stunning. 




 The glass casing over the book shelves was really beautiful. I think it was done to protect the books but I actually think it adds something extra to it. I wish I could have a library just like this. What a great way to escape without even leaving the front door.


Had to take a photo of this old fashioned toilet. Look at the blue flowers on the rim! So much work.


 Finally this was the shower. I took a photo of it because of the square window. I thought it looked really cute.


Last but not least, this is something I picked up at the market. It's a lemongrass candle from the brand Light and Glo which you can visit here. I'm no different from most girls in the fact that I love candles! I was convinced to purchase this one because of the size and the price, it was only $20 which made it very affordable. It's a wood wick candle, so it's a bit different from the usual run of the mill ones that we're used to. It burns OK but what's a little annoying is that it crackles so if you're in a quiet room, that's all you're hearing. But the smell of the candle is really relaxing and I love citrus scents so I'm not unhappy with it. Plus I like the white ceramic pot that it's in.

The colours children! Everything I got ( including my very latest purchase, the incredible Mac tinted Moisturiser in Terre Neuve ) 


Such pretty flowers on my way to the garage sale. Purple has grown on me more and more over the years. What used to be a colour that I actually hated has now become one that I actually love and would even consider wearing!! 

I had an amazing day because it was SO jam packed. I actually got up at 730AM to make it to the garage sale on time and to make sure I didn't arrive too late to Heide. I think the fact that I made friends with a total stranger was another big highlight. On the way to the bus stop to get back to Heidelberg station, it was raining really hard and I imagined how nervous I would've been having to find my way back alone since it was a completely new area. All in all it was a successful day and you can be sure there'll be more market posts in the future!

3 comments:

  1. um i would have HAPPILY run around with you on that day, it looks perfect. and btw....those shirts...the one with the lines....WHO IS THAT I NEED THAT IN MY STORE. you have to be my scout!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy! Do you mean the shirts at the start? The really colourful ones? i've dug up the designers info! Check out helloclaireritchie.com! That's her website and her IG @CLAIRE__RITCHIE

      Delete
  2. AMAZE. you're the best. i'll check it out

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy ;-)